Q & A on Permanent Residence

Apr 11, 2018Immigration, News

Here are some frequently asked questions regarding permanent residence in Canada

What does it mean to have a permanent residence status?

A permanent resident is a person who immigrating to Canada but is not a Canadian citizen. They are citizens of other countries but given permanent resident status by the Government.

What is a permanent resident (PR) card?

A PR card is used to show that you have permanent resident status in Canada. You will need to show this card and your passport when travelling outside of Canada on a commercial vehicle.

What can permanent residents do?

As someone who obtains a permanent resident status, you are entitled to the following rights

  • Get most social benefits that Canada citizens receive, including health care coverage
  • Live, work or study anywhere in Canada
  • Apply for Canadian citizenship
  • Protection under the Canadian law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

You are also authorized to pay taxes and abide by all Canadian Laws at the federal, provincial, and municipal levels.

What are permanent residents not allowed to do?

Permanent residents are not allowed to vote or run for political office, hold some jobs that need a high-level security clearance.

As a permanent resident, how long do I have to stay in Canada?

Having the status of permanent resident, you are eligible to live outside of Canada. However, you must live in Canada for at least two years in a five-year period. If you live outside of Canada for longer, your status may be revoked.

How do I lose my permanent resident status?

You can lose your permanent resident status if:

  • An adjudicator determines you are no longer a permanent resident after an inquiry or PRTD appeal
  • You voluntarily renounce your permanent resident status
  • A removal order is made against you and comes into force
  • You become a Canadian citizen

Keep in mind that you do not lose permanent resident status when your PR card has expired.


Get In Touch

Contact us, or Read more on our Website

Send a Message

13 + 5 =


The Law Office of Evangeline Ancheta

1420 Burnhamthorpe Road East

Suite 305

Mississauga, Ontario

L4X 2Z9

Telephone:  647-977-2889

Facsimile:    905-232-1088

Email: info@anchetalaw.com

Our Location

The Law Office of Evangeline Ancheta

Read More:

Fill out our Free Assessment form to discover your opportunities to come to Canada.

Read our Immigration pages to find out about all available programs to immigrate to Canada.

Read our Temporary Residence pages to find out about ways you can come to Canada, to visit, study or work.

Read our Status and Appeals pages to find out how we can help you verify, restore or appeal your status in Canada.